Child custody is one of the most important and emotionally difficult issues in family law. Known as “conservatorship” in the Texas Family Code, child custody issues are often one of the central conflicts parents will face when they separate. Issues that are typically addressed in child custody case.
- Which party will have primary custody and possession of the child(ren)
- Each party’s parental rights and duties, such as the right to make educational decisions and/or medical decisions on behalf the child(ren)
- The possession schedule of the child(ren)
- Which party will pay child support and the amount of support that will be paid
- The geographic area the child(ren) will reside in
- How the parties will pay for the expenses of the child(ren)
Texas courts make decisions in child custody cases based on what is in the best interest of the child(ren). Additionally, courts can take into account factors such as drug addiction, domestic violence, mental health issues, criminal backgrounds and even in some situations, the preference of the child(ren), when making decisions in child custody cases. It is paramount to your case that your attorney knows, and understands, the complex provisions of the Texas Family Code. Equally important is that your attorney is able to convey to you what your legal rights and options are for your specific child custody situation.
At Duffee + Eitzen LLP, our experienced family law attorneys are well aware that resolving issues concerning children can be a very emotional and difficult process. Though we are advocates of using collaborative law, mediation and another other methods of alternative dispute resolution in custody cases, we are well aware that sometimes, aggressive litigation is needed to resolve the issues at hand.
No two child custody cases are the same and here at Duffee + Eitzen LLP, we will take the time to learn what is most important to you. We have the knowledge, experience and resources to help you and your family during your time of need. Contact us today to discuss your situation and to learn how our attorneys can help you and your family during this challenging time in your life.
Leave A Comment